Interestingly I had my first bash at mounting hoop art this week. Despite the piece I chose having quite a messy back, I think I managed to tame most of the wayward strands to get this bee and sweet pea embroidery looking pretty good. I struggled slightly because at some point I had cut the fabric too close to the work so barely had the extra to turn it over the hoop. But I think this has worked in the end. I find the ‘stragglyness’ of embroidery at the back pretty as its own art form but also a drawback when using light fabric and mounting work. Perhaps I should make the back of my work tidier, but I think that would be a step too far. I find stitching and letting the ends go helps me to just get on with something, like raising children, dress them for the day then just let them go. There’s always a bath at the end of the day. Or in the case of embroidery a pair of snippers and some Vilene.
For this hoop art, in light of the back issues I started by using Vilene iron on stabiliser to contain the loose ends. I don’t ordinarily like using stabiliser as it tends to pucker the fabric around the stitches but in this case it works ok. After reigning in the back with the stabiliser I used a simple running stitch in 3 strands of DMC cotton and simply pulled it in neatly and tied it off. I should point out that getting your work as tight as a drum before you start tying up is essential. I got the screwdriver out to really get it tight. So back to the drawing up, some people use a glue gun to mount the work but I find glue a bit like using a sledge hammer to open a bottle of wine. Especially with tiny delicate work. Although I would get out the glue gun for a larger frame I reckon. I finished this hoop art by stitching a felt circle on the back. Voila!
My pearl purl arrived earlier than I thought this week. It is wonderful. I have only ever seen it on YouTube, nothing quite prepares you for how amazingly satisfying it is to pull all the coils open. I have started adding the bright gold pearl purl around the leaves using Gutterman quilting thread in golden yellow. I’ve added some more couched metallic thread to those leaves too. But they still look a tad like Easter chicks, more couching needed.
The antique gold pearl purl is beyond exciting. I just love it, it is such a lovely coppery brown. I am looking forward to using it soon. My next steps with this goldwork is to add some tambour seed beads and bugle beads somewhere. I am toying with adding in metallic leather relief work too. This one has been so much fun to tinker away at. My perpetual work in progress.
With four weeks until Easter and in a moment where I obviously thought I did not have enough WIPs already, I started a 7 inch hoop of Easter eggs. I blame my friend who seems to have become my fabric and thread supplier lately, she is just feeding my addiction! She has been having a clear out of her own stuff and things she’s inherited. She has brought me so many lovely bits. Silks, threads, hoops. She brought this hoop so I immediately filled it. Like a kid with a bucket at the seaside.